Friday, November 12, 2010

"Like A Deer in the Headlights"

I've heard this expression all my life, but only just experienced the real thing  last night.  I was going 45 on an unlit road and, suddenly, there he/she was.  That deer looked pretty surprised and just stood there for a few seconds, but finally turned and meandered off the road.

I guess that is why Idaho drivers don't dim their brights--at least 75% of them. (There's also elk and free range cattle to worry about hitting.) I was driving home from Boise last evening in the dark and found it quite annoying.  Especially when you're on a curvy mountain road.  When you're curving left and the opposing driver doesn't dim his brights, you can't even see the white line on the right side of the road.

I finally solved this problem by letting the guy behind me (with his headlights and fog lights on bright) pass me by and then I just maintained an even following distance behind him.  His lights were bright enough for the both of us and whenever an opposing driver didn't dim his brights, I could still see the brake lights of the car in front of me.

Ironically, I didn't see any wildlife on the highway.  It was only when I returned to Cascade that I saw deer.  In town.  And on that 45 mph road to one of Cascade's outlying neighborhoods.

Here's a few pictures of the town deer in our yard and the neighbor's yard on Wednesday morning after a 3 inch snowfall when they were looking for something to eat.  The leaves in our strawberry patch seemed to be the thing.  These pictures were taken out our dining room window.




No comments:

Post a Comment